Sunday, January 14, 2007

Burst Fracture Compression Fracture L1

Scared is about the only word I can use to describe how I feel. "Mortal" has crossed the my mind a few times in the past few days. Thursday I landed hard on my right side while out snowboarding at Grand Targhee. Last run of the day I hit the last jump in the terrain park with a bit to much speed and landed with a solid thud and compressed a vertebrae in my lower back. The bone burst and sent a few pieces of debris into my spinal cord column but nothing that my doctor is worried about.
I am wearing a pretty serious brace for the next 12 weeks 24/7. I am stable and Tuesday we will do a few more x-rays to make sure we are on track. Surgery in my case is a last resort. They would come through the front and remove the vertebrae and fuse a chunk of bone in the place where it was. Sounds pretty ugly so we are going a different route that has better results.